A transport truck that was carrying phosphine overturned near St. Catherines. This event happened on Wednesday last week, around 3:20 pm, according to the OPP. Phosphine is usually, odorless and colorless.
Even though, it is highly flammable, volatile and toxic; it is used to fumigate and control pests in farms. The gas attacks the human body, like a military-grade nerve gas; and could explode by exposure to water, according to the Canadian Press Report.
The incident led to the evacuation and shelter-in-place order for residents and businesses as several lanes were closed. A shelter was set up at Seymour-Hannah Sports and Entertainment Centre, and residents asked to shut their windows and turn off their air conditioners.
Tests carried out showed no traces of leakage of the toxic material. There were no injuries reported due to the incident. Most lanes were reopened several hours later, around 3:30 am.